Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Diwali Treats

Growing up in Bombay (Mumbai), Diwali was the festival we would look forward to impatiently. It was a time for decorating, lights, oil lamps, new clothes, fire crackers and most of all my favorite--- eating all homemade 'SWEETS & TREATS'.

My mom would start preparing all the yummy treats a week before. On the day of Diwali, I and my siblings would dress up in our brand new clothes. We would then excitedly share our treats with all our neighbors and friends. I don't know how my mom would single-handedly cook so many things and in such large quantities. The treats she made were perfect in every way. What can I say...she was a perfectionist and still is. I have these fond memories that will always stay with me and my hats off to my mom for giving us those memories.

Even though I have been here in the US for quiet some years now, I have tried to keep the Diwali traditions alive in my family. I want my kids to have the same memories that I had and cherish them....So I decorate the house with lights, get the oil lamps  from the Indian stores and finally prepare all the goodies. It gives me tremendous satisfaction, and also some kind of connection to the past. Below are the pictures of some of the treats that I made...


These Boondi Laddoos are sweet treats made from Chickpea Flour and sugar syrup. 
These were and still are my absolute favorite.



I made the shortcut version of the Coconut Laddoos using dry, 
shredded coconut and sweetened condensed milk.




These are chaklees or chakuli as my mom would call it. It is a savory snack which is really crispy & crunchy. It is made from white lentil flour, rice flour and all-purpose flour....This snacks requires some practice to get the texture, shape as well as the taste right. This recipe was given to me by my mom and I have to say it is an absolute success, every time I make it...


 Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did........'HAPPY DIWALI'

No comments:

Post a Comment